- PO Box 1066
- Santa Monica CA 90406
Jim Perkins is the managing partner of the Perkins Law Firm and has represented businesses, their owners and families for over 25 years. He has been a partner with several large firms both representing and negotiating against the world's largest financial institutions. His past practice has included hundred million dollar plus securitizations, servicing transfers, loans that were sold to private investors, securities offerings, start ups, finance, sub-prime mortgage loans, home equity loans, financial guaranty insurance, banking law, complex capital markets transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities reporting as well as personal matters such as criminal law, DUI and traffic matters, divorce and child custody, personal injury, accident, civil rights, employment and labor law, real estate, wills, trusts and estates and other areas of the law.
Jim's clients have included the FDIC and its predecessor the FSLIC, nationwide subprime mortgage, home equity loan and subprime auto loan lending companies, financial guarantee insurance companies, top tier investment banks, rating agencies, business executives and their families and friends and acquaintences and, in general, people like you with personal legal problems.
He is a vocal advocate for people's rights and a supporter of the ACLU, the National Lawyer's Guild, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), NAACP, AARP and other organizations that advocate for the rights of the disadvantaged and less powerful against powerful interests. He is active in national, state and West Los Angeles local Democratic Party politics and generally stakes out a highly progressive position on most issues that come up for consideration. He is a pro bono volunteer attorney with Bet Tzedek Legal Services, where he represents seniors and other individuals with foreclosure, loan modification and other debt issues.
Mr. Perkins is admitted to practice in the state of California and has previously been admitted to practice in the states of Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska.
Jim has served as Issuer's, Underwriter's or Transaction counsel in connection with the issuance of over $7 billion worth of securities in complex capital markets transactions. He has served as Insurer's counsel in connection with the issuance of another $2 billion worth of such securites. He is recognized as one of the leading experts on home equity, sub-prime mortgage and sub-prime auto lending and asset-backed securities issuance. In addition Jim has represented numerous clients on more personal matters. Such personal representations have included:
- Obtain settlements on behalf of bicyclist involved in accident with motor vehicle.
- Short sale of investment property townhome by widow after husband passed.
- Negotiation with holder of home equity loan on behalf of previously bankrupt borrower in connection with short sale of condo.
- Formation of company on behalf of founders of business including employment contracts, LLC agrement and non-disclosure non-compete agreements and other ancillary agreements.
- Negotiate and document line of credit documents on behalf of founders of defaulted debt purchase group.
- Pursue purchase of large multifamily apartment complex from CMO structure in default on its obligations on behalf of investor group.
- Criminal defense of law firm employee on first offense DUI charge.
- Draft employee handbooks for small businesses.
- Conduct union election campaigns.
- Pursue divorce, property settlement and child custody orders on behalf of the unhappily married.
- Court appointed criminal defense attorney.
- University of Iowa, College of Law 1984, J.D., With High Honors (top 10% of class), Order of Coif
- University of Nebraska, Omaha 1981 BA, magna cum laude, Outstanding Graduate, Philosophy